The term caregiver is a general way of referring to anyone who provides care for a person who needs extra help. The caregiver could be a family member, a friend or a neighbor. When it comes to caregiving for the elderly, the job title of the caregiver refers to a private duty home caregiver or senior caregiver. Private duty caregivers perform care-related activities in the home and personal care related to everyday life. These professionals are not health care professionals because they do not work under the direction of a doctor or nurse.
Being a caregiver in Gilroy, California, will allow you to perform many tasks for clients and offer emotional support. Caregivers assist with personal care and perform essential food preparation. You can help with medication administration and offer mobility assistance. You might also provide transportation services, getting clients to and from activities.
Caregiver Requirements in Gilroy, California
To serve as a caregiver in the state of California, you will need 10 hours of training. California law requires licensed home care agencies to provide home care aides with a minimum of five hours of entry-level training before meeting with a client. This instruction includes two hours of orientation training about the role of the caregiver and the terms of employment. Additionally, you will need three hours of safety training to provide necessary safety precautions, emergency procedures and infection control. Five hours of annual training is a requirement and it must include:
- Client rights and safety
- Providing for a client’s daily living needs
- How to report, avert, and detect abuse and neglect
- Helping a client with personal hygiene and other home care services
- How to transport a client
California allows you to receive your caregiver training through an online training program. Certified nursing aids must take a state approved C.N.A. course and then successfully pass the state exam.
The Benefits of Being a Caregiver
As a caregiver, you will have the opportunity to make an impact on people’s quality of life. Caregiving is suitable for clients, and it can be rewarding for you too. Some perks of being a home caregiver in California may include:
- The opportunity to help clients in an assortment of settings. If you like to have diversity in your workdays, this is a job for you. You will not have to fret about hitting a clock at the same office daily.
- You can make lasting connections as a caregiver. Being a caregiver will not only give you the chance to work with clients but their family members as well.
- You will be busy, and you will see the results of your work. This job will keep you active and let you see the positive change you make in peoples’ lives.
- You will have a feeling of personal accomplishment. Your hard work impacts clients and their family members and gives them peace of mind knowing their loved ones receive adequate care.
Power Personnel has current openings for caregivers in Gilroy, California. Join the team at Power Personnel and get competitive pay, weekly payroll, health benefits and excellent resume experience.