Customer Navigators are responsible for providing exceptional customer service to patients and their families while on-site. Customer Navigators provide the personal connection to the hospital by offering face-to-face hospitality, amenities and assistance. Customer Navigator responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, supervising volunteers, greeting patients, navigation assistance, and providing assistance to families. Customer Navigators must have basic computer skills to track patients, document visits and read/write brief reports.
1. Approaches and greets patients, their families, and visitors entering the hospital and clinics; provides clear and concise verbal and written instructions; offers them assistance in locating services, facilities or patients, verifies/confirms time and place of patient appointments, provides directions and/or escorts guests to their eventual destination, etc., to ensure their needs are met; contacts an interpreter/translator for guests who are not proficient in English; refers guests to Patient or Guest Representatives as appropriate for more in-depth assistance.
2. Assists in maintaining cleanliness and orderliness in the hospital entrance area and main thoroughfares to the highest standard to provide a positive first impression for guests on entry into the hospital; contacts housekeeping as needed.
3. Assists with appropriate resources to provide services such as (but not limited to): handling of injuries occurring on premises; interpretation for non-English speakers; equipment for the disabled; complaint management; provision of Advance Directives/ Vial of Life/Lifeline/Partners in Caring; referral phone numbers; healthcare information from the Library; access to funding for non-clinical needs; food vouchers; parking passes; hotels; restaurants; local entertainment; hospital and Bay Area maps.
4. Assists with transportation of guests to and from the hospital and other clinics by providing them with information about campus shuttles and, when needed, by personally transporting them in an electric cart/tram.
5. Contacts clinics and healthcare providers on behalf of guests as needed; handles phone inquiries from patients and others; screens calls to ascertain nature and urgency of inquiry; refers callers as appropriate to specific departments.
6. Continually assesses and makes recommendations to management for institutional system changes to promote customer satisfaction within the hospital entry environment as well as garage/valet parking into the hospital, and from the hospital entrance to the department/clinic destination and exit from the hospital.
7. Maintains continual surveillance of the hospital lobby/entrance and general thoroughfare areas.
8. Provides information about transportation options between the hospital and clinics and off-site locations such as taxicabs, public transit systems, and parking options at the hospital, and assists patients and their families with making such arrangements; liaison between parking valets and tram operators and guests.
9. Provides practical assistance and emotional support to patients, families, and staff as needed.
10. Responds immediately and appropriately to injured persons, agitated/escalating individuals/situations in the hospital entrance environment, contacting healthcare providers and/or security as needed.
? Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent
? Experience: 1 year
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
? Ability to adjust communications to fit the needs and level of understanding of the receiver
? Ability to demonstrate customer service skills in interactions with all patients, families and staff, including high volume and stressful situations
? Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
? Ability to remain calm under pressure and apply sound judgment
? Ability to solve problems and identify solutions
? Ability to speak and write effectively at a level appropriate for the job
? Knowledge of computer systems and software used in functional area
? Knowledge of the location of services provided by the hospitals and clinics (or ability to quickly become familiar) to be able to assist guests with directions and/or transport; the local geography
Palo Alto, United States
over 3 years ago